Friday, February 1, 2008

Just don't call me Davy

When I was little, my mom used to sing to me. She would sing the theme from Gilligan's Island. She would also sing the theme to the old Disney movies about Davey Crocket, except she would change the lyrics.
Instead of "Davey, Davey Crocket, king of the wild frontier," she would sing "Davy, Davy Bessom, king of Newport News." Newport News is, of course, the city where I was born and raised.
Instead of "Born on a mountaintop in Tennessee...," my mom would sing, "Born in a hospital in Newport News..." I'm sure she would also sing altered versions of the rest of the lyrics to the song, but I don't remember them.
I'm sure I enjoyed this singing, to some extent; but this act also gave rise to one of my first complete sentences,

"Don't sing, Mommy."

No comments: